Reevesey's recommended reading

Saturday 19 December 2009

Top rugby star Gareth Thomas says he is gay

It is absolutely fantastic that Cardiff Blues player and former British Lions captain, Gareth Thomas has announced he is gay.

The reason I say fantastic is this, there are quite obviously many gay sports players out there, but for many different reasons don't feel they can come out. That is really sad and it sends out a negative message to young people tormented with their sexuality when they see major sports stars hiding their sexuality.

I hope Gareth's announcement will encourage other gay sports players to come out.

Speaking to The Times, Gareth Thomas said; "I don't want to be known as a gay rugby player. I am a rugby player first and foremost. I am a man. I just happen to be gay. It's irrelevant. What I choose to do when I close the door at home has nothing to do with what I have achieved in rugby."











Thomas, Wales' most-capped player, said it had been "really tough" hiding his sexuality, but hoped coming out would help future generations of rugby players.

Good on you Gareth and I totally agree with much of what you say, rugby really is a "man's" sport, but your record speaks very clearly, your sexuality really should be irrelevant.

Another comment Gareth made, this time to the BBC Sports website, is really sad but shows what Gareth and many, many other gay people go through at times; "I used to go to the cliffs overlooking the beach near our cottage in St Brides Major and just think about jumping off and ending it all."

We are all glad you never saw that through!

Gareth Thomas is to be applauded for making his very personal decision public, and good luck to him and the team in today's game against Toulouse.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails