Reevesey's recommended reading

Monday 18 January 2010

Bye bye Mrs Robinson, the gays won't miss you nor the Christians

I realise there is some sympathy for the homophobic hypocrite teenager shagger that is Mrs Iris Robinson because she is being forced to stand down as an MP, Councillor and Northern Ireland Assembly Member because of mental health issues.

But, am I the only one that thinks this is all just a little convenient given the circumstances she now finds herself facing?

It appears her statement about suffering from depression came out after it emerged that the BBC were investigating both Mr and Mrs Robinson's financial affairs. Investigative journalist Darragh McIntyre appeared at Stormont accompanied with a camera crew one day to ask Mr Robinson, Northern Ireland's (now former for 6 weeks) first minister, a series of questions.

The previous afternoon, Mrs Robinson had released a statement admitting to her affair with a teenager and her suicide attempt only a month after announcing she was leaving politics due to ill mental health.

The hypocritical aspect of Mrs Iris Robinson, okay, one aspect, because let's face it, there are apparently many, was back in July 2008 when she said "I cannot leave my Christian values hanging at the door when I go into politics."

This quote was from July 2008 when she said in the House of Commons during a Committee Session of the Northern Ireland Grand Committee on 17th June 2008. MPs were discussing the new Risk Assessment and Management of Sex Offenders legislation and proposals to reduce the age of consent in Northern Ireland from 17 to 16.

Iris Robinson said: "There can be no viler act, apart from homosexuality and sodomy, than sexually abusing innocent children.

"There must be sufficient confidence that the community has the best possible protection against such perverts, and it is important that there be a mature public debate on the issues,"

Mature public debate she says, Christian values she quotes.

Yet, at the same time, she was having sex with a 19 year old young man, while still married and sharing the family home!

She obviously left her Christain values hanging at the door then along with the car keys and her knickers.

People in glass houses should keep well away from the stones, yet Iris carried on throwing them at the gay community with her abhorrent views.

I do hope that if she is suffering from depression, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, that she now may begin to understand what many people from the LGBT community go through at times when they are preparing to come out to family and friends.

Duncan James the singer said of his coming out as bisexual "he had been surprised by the reaction he got from family, friends and fans.

He said: "I’d had in my head that everyone was going to leave me, no one was going to talk to me. When the story came out, the reaction I got was so positive.

"People I didn’t expect to contact me said lovely things and people were writing beautiful letters saying that I’d really helped them."

I am sure Iris Robinson will get a similar response and many people will support her.

I would Mrs Robinson, but you think I'm a vile pervert and you consider me equal to a paedophile.

Mrs Robinson, I have never heard such crap in all my life, a paedophile can rot in hell as far as I am concerned but gay people like me are way better than them and especially people like you!

2 comments:

Andrew Tibbs said...

And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus 20:10

Unknown said...

I agree with you that the vile homophobic poison spouted by Iris Robinson has caused immeasurable harm. She has also been guilty of the worst form of hypocrisy. I think that being filled with that much hate is harmful to the hater as well and it looks like she's shown that in spectacular style. She seems to have imploded as a result of the tension between her repressive moral code and her actions.

I also feel that you never know exactly what goes on behind closed doors, what pressure an individual may have been under.

I feel that I believe in compassion and tolerance therefore it would be wrong not to show it to her. I felt uncomfortable about the campaign to get Mrs Robinson to number 1 for that reason.

I think we all have cause to feel appalled by Iris Robinson's comments about gay people whether we're gay or not. I have and always will stand up to people who say things like that.

I don't think you can doubt the severity of her illness - you don't get a bed in a residential psychiatric facility unless you need it.

I tend to agree with Mr MacNumpty's post on the reaction to the revelations about her private life, though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails